Monday, July 10, 2006

Backpacking in Greece Part I

After 1 week of rest, I could finally start on my recent Greece Adventure! To churn out this in the shortest time possible, i decided to do it in a chronological order based on the actual itinery. Here goes:
Day 1 - Athens
During our stay in Athens for the first 2 days, we were hosted by Manolis. I have only co-hosted people in Singapore by showing them around, and this is my first couchsurfing experience and it was truly enjoyable! The traditional Greek breakfast of bread and cheese with the home-made frappucino was nice, but I guess it's the little sessions of chat and cultural exchanges that make the breakfast special.

After breakfast, we made our way to Syntagma Square where the Parliament Building, also the former King's Palace, stood. Another interesting sight is the elite soldiers - Evzones, like the guards at Buckingham Palace, they display unwavering discipline as they stood all day under the hot sun.
Did i mention there were lots of pigeons on Syntagma Square? And that the Evzones were really tall? (check out the background in the picture below.) One of my host in Athens, Nico, told me that these soldiers are specially selected for their height and looks. And they have to undergo long hours of training before they could assume their post at Syntagma Square.

Temple of Zeus Olympios

Juz loved the feeling of walking among these erm.. grass?

makes me feel a little closer to nature

I realised I missed out one of the most important sight in Athens - Acropolis in my earlier post. Acropolis is a real natural fortress situated about 92m above the low city. So, you could see it anywhere in Athens, especially so when the tallest building in Athens has less than 20 storeys.

Acropolis, Hecatompedon, on the present site of the Pathenon

Oh, we even managed to catch the awesome view of Acropolis on a full moon night as Manolis bring us to his favourite hideout for nice honey raki! (PS: I tink Raki taste a bit like Tequila, my favourite.)

We realised that today is the Day of the Holy Spirit, which is a holiday for Greeks and entrance to all attractions are free! Woo Hoo! Aren't we lucky? The entrance fee ain't that expensive, but it's adds to a good start to a 3 weeks Holiday in Greece.

Humm, I think I will do a picture blog from here coz there're just so much thoughts about this place I can't possibly put them all down.

Byzantine Church

Day 2 - Athens, Sounion

Beautiful sunset, Poseidon temple facing the sea...

Rays of light peering through the clouds! Isn't it breathtaking?

Silouette of Poseidon Temple

Day 3 - Crete

Islands hopping - and Crete is our first stop.

We were hosted by Greg and Anna. It was wonderful - the warmth and hospitality given to us. It's really a pity we couldn't stay longer, as I would definitely like to have a few more rounds of raki and chat the day away with them.

Lovely fuzzy little darlings...

Overlooking Old town chania

Our wonderful host

- preparing for tonight's party with International friends

(to be continued...However, if you can't wait to see the highlights and the beautiful scenery of Greece, click Eugene under My Fav Blogspots)

No comments: