Sunday, November 06, 2005

Autum holiday in Japan-Part I

I started off the tour with the 3rd to the 7th day alone to various parts of Japan. Initially, I was rather apprehensive of how the tour would turn out as this is the first time I would be traveling alone. (I have never imagined I would be doing this one day as I could never understand why one would want to travel alone!)

Plans has been made to the smallest details - accommodations booked, JR rail tickets bought, Shinkansen schedule checked; seat reserved and itinerary planned. Yet I was unsettled, as I would be alone in a foreign land with my dear friend several hours away from me… and my mastery of Japanese language was pathetic. Time did not allow me to revise whatever little I have learnt during my Uni-years. Sigh.

Day 3 – Kyushu, Beppu
As I set off, I took a picture of the first sunrise I witnessed from Ying’s lodge (early enough to catch it! Rare for late sleeper like me), and I hurried off to catch a subway to transfer to the bullet train.
Upon reaching, I checked-in to the Minshuku; got the directions and bus route to get to the Jigoku (8 Hells). I felt rather silly hopping to all Eight Hells as the “Oniyama-Jigoku” is rather pathetic with the poorly caged crocodiles and alligators. Why is it listed as one of the Eight Hells I wonder…
My Favourite Jigoku~

The pathetic one~

All went well and I even managed to find a nice little Japanese restaurant for dinner. Shopping alone was rather boring, and the streets were quiet. And shops closed really early in Japan. I guess this is the “off-season” for travel. After a call to report my safety, watched a bit of Japanese news, I turn in early (by my normal standard).

Sumptuous spread for dinner~


Day 4 – Kyushu, Mt Aso
A nice warm spring bath in the morning was simply heavenly. The best thing is that it’s a private bath, so I have the whole Onsen to myself! Woo hoo! After I took a picture with the Minshuku’s friendly host, I set off to my next destination in Kyushu – Mt Aso.

Beautiful scenery along the highway and the chilling air simply takes my breath away…
Soon, I reached the foot of Mt Aso at the train station, and transferred to another bus to get to the peak of Mt Aso. There was only another lone ranger that got on the bus with me – looks like I’m not alone (in traveling alone).

Another dose of scenic view kept my camera really busy, as I clicked away, trying to capture the perfect shot. Grand mountains, vast blue skies, cows pasturing on the lush field, wild flowers swaying in the breeze as the bus moved round the curvy roads up the mountain.

At the top of Mt Aso station, I took a ropeway up to the peak and witness the puffing smoke rising from the largest crater I have ever seen; or should I say this is the first time I ever get so close to an active volcano!

The mountains near the crater~

*Shall continue with the rest another day...so stay tuned!*

No comments: